Wish your road trips never ended? For Brent Rose, they don’t.
Brent Rose is a freelance technology journalist who has spent the last 17 months living out of a van and road tripping around the United States. For Brent, what started as a year-long road trip has turned into an open-ended lifestyle.
Brent tells us about how he decided to start his van life, how he equipped his van to be able to work from anywhere, and what his nomadic life is like. He also gives us some pointers and great stories and information about his career as a tech journalist.
“I’ve been on the road for the last 17 months now. I’ve put about 35,000 miles on the thing. It was originally going to be about a year-long thing, and now I don’t know how or where to stop. I don’t know if I want to stop – so the adventure continues.” – Brent Rose
- Why Brent decided to convert to van life [5:27]
- What to look for in a vehicle for long term travel [8:19]
- How to convert a van to fit your lifestyle [8:47]
- How to get into tech journalism [10:18]
- What is Gizmodo? [11:43]
- What it means to be a good writer [13:39]
- The transition from office life to van life [24:43]
- How Brent’s location independence influences his professional output [27:03]
- Kayaking from Cuba to Florida [28:47]
- Benefits of a press trip [37:29]
- Making that important decision… what do you write about?! [38:45]
- Most memorable moments on the road [43:13]
- How a pearl in an oyster can lead to a great pick-up line [45:35]
Brent Rose Talking Points:
- Watch Brent’s Wired Teched-Out Van video
- Read Brent’s van life article for Gizmodo
- Learn more about #vanlife on instagram
- Check out Connected States Project
- Subscribe to Brent’s YouTube channel
- Connect with Brent Rose:
“I love the freedom it affords me.” – Brent Rose
Brent drives his van on a constant road trip to balance work with adventure. What can you do to bring more adventure into your everyday life?